Wednesday, July 20, 2011

13.1 miles here I come...

One of my New Year's resolutions was to run a half marathon by the end of 2011.  As I looked at the calendar today, I realize that I only had a few more months to actually make it happen!  I knew I needed at least 3-months to train, so it was now or never.

Alas, I signed up for the Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon on October 2nd.  The race begins in Alexandria, VA and ends in National Harbor, MD.

I've never run more than 6 miles in my life so this will be a challenge.  I ran a 5K in Hyde Park while I was studying in England and I did a year of cross-country in high school.  Other than that, my experience in long-distance running is slim to none.

My training regimen will be a mixture of shorter runs, kickboxing, strength training, yoga, and 6-11 mile runs on Saturdays.

Training officially starts tomorrow so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Wish me luck!

9 comments:

  1. You'll do wonderfully and what an accomplishment.....proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot to mention that you came in 3rd place in the Hyde Park 5k so I know you are going to ROCK that half marathon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome your training for a half marathon! I also just started getting into running and have found this website to be super helpful. It's not the best designed website, but everyone I talk to who runs considers this guy to be the old-school kind of running. He also has books, but the website has been sufficient for me. Good luck! http://www.halhigdon.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thanks Ashley!  Too bad I won't have you there to run next to me this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!  I checked out the website this morning and will definitely refer back to his 1/2 marathon training guide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOOHOO, Lauren!! Make sure to give yourself rest-days-- so integral in fostering recovery and strengthening of the muscles. I also think your varied training routine is SO smart-- mixing up your workouts will target, challenge, and develop different muscle groups, as well as encourage endurance and strength. Sounds like you are so set :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Clarita!  I will definitely be contacting you for some advice!  Wish you could be here to run it with me :(  Miss you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. [...] today–successfully completing a 9-mile run yesterday morning.  If you remember from my first post, the longest I had ever run was 6 [...]

    ReplyDelete

Run wild with your comments!