Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My quest to a healthier lifestyle: 6 household changes

As I've focused more on my exercise and eating habits, I've also developed new household routines to try and eliminate unwanted (and mostly unknown) toxins.  Below is a list of a few changes I've made in the past year that will hopefully inspire you to rethink the products you use at home.

1. Say goodbye to dryer sheets.


Think twice before sniffing that bounty-covered shirt.

That 'perfume' smell is made up of chemicals. Toxins. Leaching into your skin and lungs every time you put on your clothes.  I didn't want to take any risks so I stopped using them altogether.  In over a year, I've hardly noticed a difference in my clothing.


2. Replace plastic tupperware with glass.


There are so many chemicals in plastic tupperware just waiting to leach out into your food after repeated use and microwaving.  Although glass is more expensive, it's much, much safer.  I found a set of 5 Pyrex bowls for $17.99 at Macy's (50% off sale.)

3.  Peanut butter goes in the fridge.  If yours doesn't, ask yourself why not?


Answer: because it has preservatives in it. Yuck!


I've switched to Trader Joe's Organic Peanut Butter with Sea Salt.  See ingredients list: organic dry roasted peanuts, sea salt. None of that other crap (including high fructose corn syrup!)

4. Beware of ketchup.

Just take a look at a bottle of Heinz ketchup.  Third ingredient down? HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP.  Get that stuff out of your house!  Try eating Annie's Naturals Organic Ketchup instead.

5. Cleaning products: go all natural.

Yes, they are more expensive but think of it as an investment in your health.  Wouldn't you prefer your bathroom to smell like lemons instead of chlorine?

6. Make-up, shampoos and body washes should all be paraben free.  

Parabens are 'the most widely used preservatives in cosmetics and personal care products such as soap, moisturizers, shaving cream and underarm deodorant, according to the Food and Drug Administration.'

Why should we care?

Some think that parabens may be linked to breast cancer and fertility issues.  Hard facts or not, I'm not taking any chances.

Want more details?  Check it out.

Paraben-free products/brands? Check it out.

Any more tips?  Leave 'em in the comment section!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Run wild with your comments!