Saturday, October 1, 2011

3 months later...I race tomorrow!




Cue Rocky music.

@#^@!%!% I am running 13.1 miles in less than 24 hours. Three months ago, the longest I'd ever run was 6 miles (once.)  This past week, I was more anxious than excited about the race.  When I woke up this morning I had butterflies in my stomach--but more from excitement than nerves. I'm picking up my race packet in about an hour--the countdown officially begins!

Accuweather (which I've been compulsively checking for the past two weeks,) has not forecasted rain. YAY! However, the morning temperatures will be between 47-50 degrees.  That's a whoooooole lot cooler than what I've trained in.  Thank you Autumn, for FINALLY showing your face.  Did you really have to choose this upcoming weekend?!  Stumped on what to wear, I consulted google (of course) and came across this link on Runner's World.  I took some of their suggestions into consideration and decided on the following:

 1. Champion short sleeve running shirt.  I've trained a lot in this hot pink top because it is light-weight, keeps the sweat off my skin and allows others to see me easily.

2. Nike Dri-Fit dual hoodie (I can't find the original, so here's the closest thing.  Also, I won't wear this during my real race, only for warming up.) I love it because it hugs my skin, keeps me warm, and stays out-of-the-way while I run.  The best feature is the dual hood--one acts as a normal hood, but there's a lighter one under it if you just need a little protection from the cold (which I will need tomorrow morning!)

3.Under Armour long sleeve.  Scratch that. I've actually decided not to wear this but since I already took the photo and made it pretty, I didn't want to have to redo it.  Instead, I've decided to wear a long sleeve polyester shirt over my pink one so I can easily take it off when I've warmed up.

4. Champion padded sports bra.  BEST BRA EVER.  It's incredibly supportive, soft and unlike some of my other bras, the elastic doesn't scratch my skin.

5. Feetures! socks.  I purchased these at a running store last week.  The socks are specifically designed to provide more support and keep your feet dry while you run.  Labeled on the socks are "L" and "R"  to provide the best fit to each foot.

6. Nike Dri-Fit spandex.  Definitely high on the list of favorite purchases.  I've trained in these babies all three months--it doesn't matter the weather, they are great!  They fit nicely, keep my skin dry and are easy to run in.  I've never had a problem with chaffing, but they are a sure way to protect my skin after 13.1 miles.

Not pictured: My ipod, ipod armband, my Garmin Forerunner 305 and heart rate monitor, Brooks shoes (pictured above), and sunglasses.
Also, if you're wondering what to wear while you train, here are a couple of tips I've learned as I've trained the last three months.

1. Do NOT wear anything cotton. It absorbs sweat, becomes heavy, and sticks to your skin. Also, it causes chaffing. I made the mistake of wearing cotton shorts and a cotton tank on two separate occasions and really regretted it both times.

2. Invest in a good sports bra.  I bought two padded bras when I started training more and there is a huge difference in the amount of support they give.  I used to double-up on the cheap target spandex ones--now, I can never go back.

The race begins at 7:30 AM at Mt. Vernon Estate in Alexandria, VA.  I'll run north along the Potomac and cross the Woodrow Wilson Bridge (touching a bit of DC soil) and will end in National Harbor, MD.  We are going out to brunch after to celebrate and ending the night with a wine party at our place (yay, I can drink again!)  After all this hard work, I can't wait until tomorrow!

7 comments:

Run wild with your comments!