Monday, February 27, 2012

Marathon Monday: Week 8 & thoughts on running 17 miles


Happy Monday, everyone!

Training recap:
The week started off a little so-so and ended really well. I unexpectedly (and unknowingly) came down with a cold on Monday. I attributed my runny nose and sore throat to allergies, only to learn after my spinning workout that I was definitely sick.

I took a few extra days off (hence why I have 3 rest days) and spent a few days working from home to protect my coworkers from my germs!  I bounced back quickly and by Thursday, I was good to go!

We had a 17-miler on Sunday and I can proudly say that it was the longest I've ever run!  I felt absolutely fantastic, especially compared to 15-miler two weekends ago.

We ran along the Capital Crescent Trail and it was beautiful.  Trail dirt > pavement.  My happy legs thanked me with every step.

Although I only ran twice this week, I did three cross-training workouts.  I felt great so I'm not feeling too guilty about cutting back on my training.



This week:

Monday: rest day

Tuesday: 1-hour spinning class.  My calf was really bothering me so I decided to 'take it easy.'  I felt AWFUL after this workout and fell asleep around 8:45.

Wednesday:  After my experience on Wednesday, I took the day off to let my body heal.

Thursday: 8-mile run, average pace: 9:45/mile. This was the most beautiful weather we've had since last Fall.  I had minimal cramping and I felt so alive running as the sun set.

Friday:  rest day in preparation for (what was going to be) our 17-mile run.

Saturday: There was a severe wind advisory out until 6pm so we opted to do our long run on Sunday.  Instead, we tried to get into a Body Pump class at the gym, but by the time we arrived, it was full.  Determined to get some sort of workout in, I did Jacob's Ladder for 10 minutes and lifted for another 30.

Still feeling like I didn't get an adequate workout, I went to a Power Flow yoga class at a studio 2-blocks away.  It was a great workout and helped open up my tight hips.

Sunday: 17-mile run!  Average pace: 10:00/mile.  I was literally on a high during this run.  I felt SO good compared to my earlier runs and it really boosted my confidence.  We even had the energy to take a photo in front of the White House around mile 14 :)

P.S.  I also got a 1-hour massage after our run. Ooooooh boy, did that feel great.

Overall, great week!  Hopefully this week will be the same.

I hope you're all having a lovely Monday!

What did you do this weekend?  Any fun plans for the week? 

1 comment:

  1. Great job Lauren! I'm just getting back into running myself and this is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Run wild with your comments!