Friday, March 23, 2012

Fueling, sustaining and refueling

Looking back to my first half marathon, I'm amazed that I was able to complete it with so little snacks and water.  I remember only eating a small a piece of toast 3 hrs before the race and only drinking a few sips of water at the water stations.  What was I thinking?!

Now, after struggling through my fair share of runs, I've realized that what I eat and drink before, during, and after runs makes a significant difference in my performance.

In terms of snacks, here's what I've tried so far:

  • GU (peanut butter, lime, mint chocolate, chocolate)
  • PowerBar Energy Blasts
  • VEGA Pre-workout Energizer
  • VEGA Electrolyte Hydrator
  • PowerBar Energy Gu
  • Powerbar Energy Bites
  • Honey Stinger Organic Chews
  • Honey Stinger Waffles
  • Honey Stinger Energy Bars
  • Whey Protein
  • Bananas
  • Toast
  • Larabars
  • Gatorade
  • Pretzels
  • Cereal

Pre-workout:


Before I go on long runs, I try to eat a protein-filled breakfast.  Usually, toast doesn't do it for me.

Lately, I've started eating a full bowl of Kashi GOLEAN Naturally Sweetened Fiber Twigs, Soy Protein Grahams, and Honey Puff Cereal.  Each serving has 13 grams of protein.  Thirteen!  I stay full for hours without cramping.

Occasionally, I will also eat a banana with my cereal if my appetite is extra large that day.

In terms of hydrating, I make a conscious effort to drink plenty of water the night before.  Honestly, running when I'm dehydrated makes me feel like crap.  I recently tried the VEGA Pre-workout Energizer and I loved it.  My subsequent run was one of the best I've had since I started training.  




During-workout:


Finding the perfect combination of snacks to sustain my energy on long runs has been a challenge.  Some runs, I find myself feeling famished by the end.  Many people recommended GU but I hated it.  Plus, the sugar really upset my stomach.

I thought gummy snacks would make a good alternative; however, the sugar gave me gut-rut.  After trying multiple options, I've finally found a combination that works.

My body responds best to Larabars, Honey Stinger Waffles and Energy Bars and cereal.  I will usually eat these during miles 13-17.  They work great to fill the huge void that sits in my stomach without causing any cramping.

I also carry around my Camelbak Hydration Pack so I can drink whenever I need to.  I've tried adding VEGA Electrolyte Hydrator to my water pack but I prefer plain water.

Post-workout:


Dom convinced me to start drinking Whey Protein shakes after workouts.  I usually mix a scoop of chocolate whey protein, a banana, peanut butter and ice in the blender.  I think it has helped reduce soreness and it actually doesn't taste too bad.

I also try to drink a lot of water to ensure that I don't get dehydrated!  And let's not forget a good, protein-filled meal.  Although I usually end up carb loading.

My Two Cents:

I was frustrated for weeks that I couldn't find any energy boosting snacks that I liked.  It seemed that everyone used GU and raved about it.  I assumed I would learn to deal with it until I started exploring my options.  There are so many choices!  So, if you're not a fan of GU or other similar products, make sure you find a combination that works for you.  I guarantee it's out there!

How do you fuel, sustain and refuel?  Are there any products you particularly enjoy?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Run wild with your comments!