Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Marathon Monday: Week 10

Happy Monday!

Training recap:


This week was a great cross-training week, but another not-so-good running week.  I still wanted to take it easy on my sore calf, and I also had <----- this pretty lady in town for 4 days!  The weather in DC was beautiful this weekend and the trees are starting to bloom.  Whoo hoo, Spring is almost here!

I ran 11 miles this morning--my longest run in the past two weeks--and it felt good.  The sun was shining and I was able to wear a t-shirt and shorts! My legs were sore afterwards, but nothing compared to the calf pain I've felt recently.  I've been icing and rolling my calf every day and I try to wear my compression socks when I can.  I think the extra attention is really helping, thank goodness!


Training this week:

Monday: Rest day

This was my second full day of rest after experiencing more calf pain last weekend. What did I do instead? Went out to dinner!

Tuesday: 6.23 miles/8:42 pace

Quick run in the AM before work.  I ran to the Lincoln Memorial and back again.  This was my first long(er) run since my calf really started bothering me.  I felt great and it was super nice to get my run over with for the day.

Wednesday: 60-minute spinning class

Spinning is quickly becoming one of my favorite cross-training activities.  I usually reserve a bike in the morning at my gym and go to a class after work.  My membership is $29/month which is totally worth it just to take these classes every week! Good cardiovascular workout without putting too much pressure on my legs.

Thursday: 5.33 miles/10:03 pace

Legs were still sore from spinning class the day before and my energy level was down so this run wasn't great...Dom and I followed our normal path along The Mall and down towards the monuments.

Friday: Active rest day

My friend flew in from MN in the morning and although I wanted to squeeze a run in, my calf was bothering me again and I needed to get my apartment ready for her arrival. We spent about 2 hours walking around DC so I guess I got in a little exercise.

Saturday: 75-minute yoga class

I brought my guest to my yoga studio for an early morning class. The poses were simple and we focused on form. It really stretched out my body but I was sore after multiple chaturangas!

Sunday: Active rest day

With good intention to get up and run, Daylight Savings did me in. I didn't wake up until after 10am (honestly, unheard of for this morning girl) and I didn't want to make my friend wait for me while I ran. However, we walked at least 6 miles as we toured DC. The weather was beautiful and we got to see some of the pink trees starting to bloom (not sure if they are the Cherry Blossoms or not. The flowers look too big to be Cherry Blossoms.) We also did a night tour of all the monuments (2ish extra miles of walking?) My legs and feet were aching by the end of the day!

How I'm feeling

Overall, satisfactory week of training.  Although my mileage is extremely low, I'm taking a lot of precaution to ensure that I don't overwork my calf.  I've also realized that I can't beat myself up for not letting this marathon consume my life.  If I miss a long run due to other commitments, I shouldn't feel anxious or stressed because I know I can always make it up (like I did on Monday!)

What's to come

I have a 18-miler on Friday morning in....NYC!  I'm meeting my mom for the weekend so I'll have to work around our schedule.  However, I haven't seen her in 3 months and I'm looking forward to escaping DC for a bit.  Crossing my fingers that my legs cooperate...only 8 more weeks until the race!


XO, 
Wild Rice



2 comments:

  1. I'm a bit late, but I still want to congratulate you with your new blog. Looks good! If I can find out how to subscribe, I will do it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gusta! I appreciate your readership :)

    ReplyDelete

Run wild with your comments!